Tips for Successful Speaking Engagements
1. Allow a minimum of two months notice to ensure availability.
2. Speaking engagements should be a minimum of 60 minutes; 45 minutes speaking, with 15 minutes for question and answer. Presentations can be longer based on your group's needs. Discuss with your speaker your particular needs.
3. This program is voluntary; therefore, a specific speaker may not always be available when you need them. Feel free to contact the Rockford Chamber and we may be able to suggest another speaker for you.
4. Make sure you communicate details about your meeting (date, time, length of presentation, location), your audience, goals and purpose of your program, how many people will be in attendance, and any special podium or A/V needs.
5. Prior to the event, re-confirm with your speaker the details of the speaking engagement, including handout information and overnight accommodations, if necessary.
6. Should a speaker be unable at the last minute to fulfill the engagement -- due to illness, work emergency, or personal emergency -- please contact the Rockford Chamber and we will try to secure a replacement. If you should need to cancel the program, please contact the speaker as soon as possible. Expenses already incurred by the speaker may need to be covered by the canceling organization.
7. Discuss and confirm in writing with the speaker what expenses will be covered by your organization, if any.
8. Unless previously agreed, speakers agree not to sell or promote any personal products or services.
9. Ask the speaker in advance if you desire to videotape the session.
10. Ask attendees to evaluate the speaker. Provide general feedback on the speaker's presentation within 10 days of the program.
11. After the presentation, one of the nicest ways to show your appreciation for the speaker's time and effort is to send a letter of appreciation -- please copy the Chamber of Commerce at the following address:
Rockford Chamber of Commerce
308 W. State Street, Ste. 190
Rockford, IL 61101